Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Mini Jacker (Read 1046 times)
virgilj
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Mini Jacker
Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:21pm

Today I installed Mini Jacker on my classic. I mounted the motor to it so I could see just how much I had raised the motor. It ended up with the cav plate 2.25 inches above the hull bottom with the motor in the second notch. The motor is a 25 HP Johnson.

From everything I've read I should be ok at that height. I intend to put a four blade prop on the motor.

What concerns me is the water pump intake being so high. The simple answer is to just lower it, but to do so I would have to trim the top of the transom to allow the motor clamps to clear ( 1 inch adjustment steps on the mini jacker) 

Do you think it will be OK at that height or should I just go ahead and trim the transom and re glass.

The boat is being rebuilt so I can't just take it out and test it.

Thanks in advance for your input.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
NoeEttica
Forum Member

Noeettica.com
Re: Mini Jacker
Reply #1 - Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:41pm

You may be OK  or need to have your prop cupped and add something like a permatrim ...

I run a classic with several different motors

My favorite was a souped up 8 Hp with a very special prop that belonged to a friend of mine

Powertech makes the best prop for your application  I think it is the SRA 4  You will have ti determine the pitch based on your LR ratio

on a 25 Merc It's a 13 pitch ...

I would NOT go cutting into the transom Sad

This is a shot of the one I personally tested ...

« Last Edit: Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:50pm by NoeEttica »  

There  WILL be NO frigging in the Rigging Untill the Rigging She is rigged for Frigging ...
IP Logged

The Skiff Shop
Forum Member

New Port Richey, FL
Reply #2 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 12:04am

virgilj wrote on Nov 1st, 2011 at 11:21pm:
Today I installed Mini Jacker on my classic. I mounted the motor to it so I could see just how much I had raised the motor. It ended up with the cav plate 2.25 inches above the hull bottom with the motor in the second notch. The motor is a 25 HP Johnson.

From everything I've read I should be ok at that height. I intend to put a four blade prop on the motor.

What concerns me is the water pump intake being so high. The simple answer is to just lower it, but to do so I would have to trim the top of the transom to allow the motor clamps to clear ( 1 inch adjustment steps on the mini jacker) 

Do you think it will be OK at that height or should I just go ahead and trim the transom and re glass.

The boat is being rebuilt so I can't just take it out and test it.

Thanks in advance for your input. 

I start with my anti-ventalation plate 1/2" above the bottom of the boat with the motor hung on the transom.  Then I go up 1/2" for every inch of set back.  Your jack plate probably has the rise for the set back built in. Wink  Tweak from there.

I like the SRA series props but it requires modification of the torque tab/anode on late model Merchatsu's.  Something to check before you commit on your motor. Wink

Typically, on a classic, the motor needs to go up, so I wouldn't think you would need to lower the transom and might even consider raising it.
« Last Edit: Nov 4th, 2011 at 12:11am by The Skiff Shop »  

You can find me @ http://www.theskiffshop.com
IP Logged

virgilj
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #3 - Nov 4th, 2011 at 9:24am

Thank you both very much for your advise.

I've been reading nothing but good things about the skiff shop and their ability to correctly prop a skiff. For some reason I had the impression you were located on the East coast. Glad to find out your only 20 miles from me.

As I said,I'm going to re-prop with a four blade. When I get the boat ready I'll be heading your way so you can put the correct prop on it without me doing a bunch of guessing.

Another big advantage of you being in New port Richey is my wife loves Olive Garden. I can bring her along and take her there for lunch. That way it will ease the pain of me spending a ton on a new prop.

Life is good!!

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertisement