microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Best small outboard with electric start? (Read 2602 times)
Nismoron
Forum Member

I Love my Ghee-not!

Montgomery, AL
Best small outboard with electric start?
Aug 20th, 2011 at 12:47pm

I need a small outboard (under 15hp) with elecric start for my skiff.  I run a few jugs on the river and am getting tired of pull starting my old (1958) evinrude 10hp.  Not being very familiar with small outboards, I dont know what to look for in a small electric start.  I need to find something pre 2000ish to keep costs down.  What would you guys recommend?  The smaller the better...  Say 5-9 hp.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
After Hours2
Forum Member

Legend in my own Mind!

Orlando
Re: Best small outboard with electric start?
Reply #1 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 12:59pm

Most motors in the 9.9 range are the same weight as the 15's so you might as well shoot for the more hp. As far as electric start goes, its basically an added option on an outboard. Some have it, and some don't. It can also be added afterward if you find a good deal on a manual start. For the makes, Yamaha, merc, honda the list goes on..... Their all good brands I think it is just a matter of preference and what costs the least amount of $$$ at that time. Good luck...

IP Logged

Nismoron
Forum Member

I Love my Ghee-not!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #2 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 1:49pm

Thanks.  Basicly what I am trying to do is find out what NOT to look for.  Lets say for example that Yamaha never made an outboard below 20hp with electric start, then I would know not to even bother looking for one.  This was only a hypothetical example.  I dont know whether Yamaha made small electric start outboards or not.

The max hp for my boat is 15 and from my experience with the boat, I think that would be a good deal too much.  To keep costs down and since I dont need the extra hp, I'm centering on 5-10hp.  I'm not excluding everything else, but just trying to narrow the search field.  Something in the 2-5hp range would be great, but I am pretty sure no one ever made an electric start in that range.

I'm thinking that something in the 70's or 80's 9.9hp Johnrude would be perfect.  Decent cost, and they made a billion of them, so availabilty of motors as well as parts is good.  I just dont know if they made it in electric start.  I've never seen one...

IP Logged

After Hours2
Forum Member

Legend in my own Mind!

Orlando
Reply #3 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 5:56pm

After a little research  I have found that Mercury, not sure of the years, allows an electric start option for outboards starting at 6 hp. Hope this helps a little but without researching every model and make for the years you wish to purchase then it may be a matter of just searching for sale adds until you find the one you want. Good luck again and Im sure someone else may have a little more insight on the topic...

IP Logged

DuckNut
Forum Member

Brandon, FL

Reply #4 - Aug 20th, 2011 at 6:36pm

Just a note on buying a manual start and thinking that buying a starter is all it takes.  Many of these engines are hi-tech (not saying your '58 isn't) but there may be other parts necessary to make it an electric start.  Flywheel, starting switch and charging system are just three that come to mind.

Find the one you want with the starter already there, plenty around.

IP Logged

Nismoron
Forum Member

I Love my Ghee-not!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #5 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 10:12am

Yes, I know.  Adding start option was not ever in the cards.  I want it already there.  Just trying to find something that haad it as an option, so that I know what to look out for.

No high tech on the 58.  haha  Points and condensers!  But at least I'll still be able to go fishing if the terrorists hit us with an EMP...   Cool

IP Logged

DuckNut
Forum Member

Brandon, FL

Reply #6 - Aug 21st, 2011 at 7:20pm

Well then since the black ones are manufactured by one company and the blue ones manufactured by another and ech has pro's/con's followers/haters - pick one in your price range and bolt it on and go.

IP Logged

Rooster
Forum Member

Towee Boats RiverMaster

Roswell, GA
Reply #7 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:09pm

Well, I have been a "Honda Man" for years, and wanted to get one for my new skiff earlier this year. They have gotten to be pretty high, but I shoppped around and found a 15 for around $2,600 with electric start. I think they had a 9.9 around $2,200 there at the time. I had not been looking for an electric start, but now that I have it I can't see ever not having one. I am just saying that you can shop your area (even a bit out of your area) and possibly come upon one that has been on the floor for a while (esp. as we approach Winter) and might be able to make a deal. The Hondas that I had in the past ran forever and were very reliable - I would pay a little more to get that and have no regrets!

IP Logged

Nismoron
Forum Member

I Love my Ghee-not!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #8 - Aug 22nd, 2011 at 8:57pm

ShockedThanks for the tip, but I was thinking more in the $300-$600 range.  Thus the 70's or 80's models. Undecided
Seeing as how I have been unemployed for almost 6 months, with no relief in sight...  I cant justify a $2500 motor for a $400 boat.  haha  I appreciate the tip though.

If I ever do find emplotymenty, I plan to sell the Gheenoe clone to friend and get a LT25.  The one I was eyeballing, had a Honda 40 on it. Roll Eyes

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertisement