HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Inshore Power Boats (Read 25040 times)
slimpickins

I Love microskiff.com!

Inshore Power Boats
Jul 6th, 2011 at 1:17pm

Just wanted to see if any of yall are running an Inshore Power Boat, and what yall think of them.  I have heard the speil about how they make em so cheap, but wondered why there were no reviews anywhere on the net outside of their own site.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
skinnywater3
Forum Member

Orlando FL
Re: Inshore Power Boats
Reply #1 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 4:03pm

There are a few guys on here that run IPBs I'm sure they will chime in.

Here is a sweet video out of an IPB..

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXozNNjuGpg

IP Logged

fishinfoolsonny
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Slidell, La
Reply #2 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 11:46pm

I like mine, floats shallow and poles easy.  I have seen 38mph light with a yamaha two stroke 50hp and 35 loaded.
I don't fish when the weather is bad so I can't comment on rough water ride and all that stuff, but I am sure it will handle like any other almost flat bottom skiff. Oh ya tabs are a must have with a 50. It is not a Hells bay or Maverick or ECC but I wouldn't say it is built cheap it is a piece together boat add what you want in the boat decks storage ect.

IPB 16 50 yamaha

IP Logged

Fowl Habit
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #3 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 7:19pm

Anyone know the weight of the IPB 16 hull?  Their website doesn't list a weight.  Also, how stable when you walk around the gunwales?

IP Logged

ultralight
Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jul 9th, 2011 at 8:30pm

I have an IPB with a 40 Yamaha tiller & Lenco tabs. I really like it. There isn't much of a gunnel to walk on but stability is no problem. Mine tops out at 33. Poles well. Haven't measured the draft but I'd say 6 to 7 inches. I have a trolling motor, battery & fuel tank in front which help the weight distribution. The hull is quiet. My only complaint is that you will get wet from time to time. I plan on adding spray rails at some time.

IP Logged

rummya87
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #5 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 2:21pm

Frankly, I'll give you the good the bad and the downright ugly.  First, the boat is light, quiet, poles well and drafts very shallow.  Mine runs quick, about 36 or so unloaded and 30-31 loaded with a tohatsu 50 TLDI, by loaded I mean me at 260, 2x200 with cooler, full tank, ect.  I have a jackplate and trim tabs and I've never been not able to go where I wanted.  The bad...the decks are glue and screw, gaps filled with 5200, everything seems to be done as cheaply as possible.  You have to ask specifically to have things done as you want them because it may not turn out how you'd like to have it done.  The boat porpoises a little bit without the tabs down and when you put the tabs down you obviously loose a little speed, that's just expected.  The ugly, my boat leaks between the hull and liner.  I've installed a drain plug to let water out as it accumulates but it still sucks, been back in the shop twice and still hasn't stopped.  The boat is filled with closed cell so it's not sinking any time soon, just enough to be annoying.  Further, I'm guessing because of the water intrusion, the floor of the liner has come debonded from the stringers and bounces when running over chop, wakes, ect.  The bouncing seems harmless as the liner doesn't seem meant for structural rigidity, that's more for the stringers and such.  The boat still floats skinny and is plenty fast but it does suck.  ECC and Brad may get pissed for me telling you the truth but it is what it is.  Further, customer service can be hit or miss.  Sometimes they're super nice and some times you might find either of them on their period and ready to blame you for the faults of their own boat.  Just saying....

IP Logged

paint it black
Forum Member

Paddling away...

South FL
Reply #6 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 6:12pm

rummya87 wrote on Jul 11th, 2011 at 2:21pm:
Frankly, I'll give you the good the bad and the downright ugly.  First, the boat is light, quiet, poles well and drafts very shallow.  Mine runs quick, about 36 or so unloaded and 30-31 loaded with a tohatsu 50 TLDI, by loaded I mean me at 260, 2x200 with cooler, full tank, ect.  I have a jackplate and trim tabs and I've never been not able to go where I wanted.  The bad...the decks are glue and screw, gaps filled with 5200, everything seems to be done as cheaply as possible.  You have to ask specifically to have things done as you want them because it may not turn out how you'd like to have it done.  The boat porpoises a little bit without the tabs down and when you put the tabs down you obviously loose a little speed, that's just expected.  The ugly, my boat leaks between the hull and liner.  I've installed a drain plug to let water out as it accumulates but it still sucks, been back in the shop twice and still hasn't stopped.  The boat is filled with closed cell so it's not sinking any time soon, just enough to be annoying.  Further, I'm guessing because of the water intrusion, the floor of the liner has come debonded from the stringers and bounces when running over chop, wakes, ect.  The bouncing seems harmless as the liner doesn't seem meant for structural rigidity, that's more for the stringers and such.  The boat still floats skinny and is plenty fast but it does suck.  ECC and Brad may get pissed for me telling you the truth but it is what it is.  Further, customer service can be hit or miss.  Sometimes they're super nice and some times you might find either of them on their period and ready to blame you for the faults of their own boat.  Just saying....

"closed cell" foam holds water.
So all that closed cell foam will be waterlogged and it will begin to weigh down your skiff....
soon or later you will have to gut all the foam out and redo it.....

wasn't your skiff rear ended once? maybe that may have caused the intrusion somewhere?
Anyway, if it happened on it's own, ECC should really take care of that for you. Is it even a year old?
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 6:13pm by paint it black »  
WWW facebook.com/tailingloop  
IP Logged

TheBrazilNut
Forum Member

Merritt Island
Reply #7 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 6:52pm

That Sucks! I would believe as well over time the foam will start to absorb the water and add weight to your skiff.

I would love to hear some more of the "Good, Bad & Ugly" instead of reviews of skiffs where everything is "Peachy and Neutral".

I'm having some issues with my Ankona SUV17. Nothing major, but no one puts out a perfect skiff at delivery and sometimes things need to be re-done and fixed.

IP Logged

iMacattack
Global Moderator

busy, too busy

Ft. Lauderdale FL
Reply #8 - Jul 11th, 2011 at 7:20pm

I wish you could say you get what you pay for, but it's not the case. Even at three to four time the price, sometime even these boats have to go back to the manufacture to attend to some items...
« Last Edit: Jul 11th, 2011 at 7:20pm by iMacattack »  

IP Logged

East Cape
Forum Member

Reply #9 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 3:26pm

Kevin: Actually I'm not pleased to see this as I think there's two sides to every story. I've responded in the original body below and as always, learned from this to better "us" as a company in the future...I also hate to read stuff like about any builder as sometimes we as a whole aren't given a fair shake. It's not a secret I'm vocal which is why I wanted to post this in the first place.

Frankly, I'll give you the good the bad and the downright ugly.  First, the boat is light, quiet, poles well and drafts very shallow.  Mine runs quick, about 36 or so unloaded and 30-31 loaded with a tohatsu 50 TLDI, by loaded I mean me at 260, 2x200 with cooler, full tank, ect.  I have a jackplate and trim tabs and I've never been not able to go where I wanted.  The bad...the decks are glue and screw, gaps filled with 5200, everything seems to be done as cheaply as possible.

Kevin: The IPB was built in this fashion as a entry level budget skiff/plain jane. It was never to compete or expected to be anything else other than that. Now when you have darler colors such as olive drab and tan I'm sure the 5200 doesn't look good as blk 5200 doesn't work as good as white.
You have to ask specifically to have things done as you want them because it may not turn out how you'd like to have it done. 
Kevin: Honestly I don't think thats a fair statement.

The boat porpoises a little bit without the tabs down

Kevin: thats because the power to weight ratio comes into play and happens with all skiffs...even more to those with bagged/infused builds as weight is key to these skiffs and others. Drop your HP down to  a 25hp and no tabs are needed.

and when you put the tabs down you obviously loose a little speed, that's just expected. 
The ugly, my boat leaks between the hull and liner. 

Kevin: Im sure the rear ending/accident you had placed a key in this and the fact you had a mud motor on it before hand as I personally told you this in the past and even yesterday on the phone. The torque coming off a mud motor is huge and the skiff shook like a harley with it on.

I've installed a drain plug to let water out as it accumulates but it still sucks, been back in the shop twice and still hasn't stopped. 

Kevin: again when you dropped the boat off last time and we made some changes to "check" if all was fixed you called and said you needed the boat asap. so, our shop foreman had you sign a document stating we did not have a chance to water test the fix so there is a release of any argument if the problem wasn't corrected. Then I get a call from you yesterday upset cause the problem still is there...i also explained we didn't even know there was a problem till the later part of it's duration being here. The lesson we learned is our partner was handling the issue but failed to let us know since IPB as a whole has been put on idle/hold as we haven't built any in a long time and your skiff was built with IPB employees and in no way a part of East Cape. East Cape is another company owned by Marc and I. I told you IPB was "idle" and I would take care of you and have "East Cape' fix it this time as the last few times all your issues were with my partner Brad of IPB. Then I see this post...
As a builder it hurts cause there's two sides to every story but when a customer signs a doc stating he "knows" the issue wasnt fixed or in question then I expect a little more than your call to me yesterday in anger. Your action is caused my reaction.

The boat is filled with closed cell so it's not sinking any time soon, just enough to be annoying.  Further, I'm guessing because of the water intrusion, the floor of the liner has come debonded from the stringers and bounces when running over chop, wakes, ect.  The bouncing seems harmless as the liner doesn't seem meant for structural rigidity, that's more for the stringers and such.  The boat still floats skinny and is plenty fast but it does suck.  ECC and Brad may get pissed for me telling you the truth but it is what it is.

Kevin: The floor came apart from the hull and not because the water...I'm sure its the vibration/accident. However, water could be a key. the skiff is infused and made w/VE Resin and closed cell foam. We will re bond the floor and all will be good!

Further, customer service can be hit or miss.  Sometimes they're super nice and some times you might find either of them on their period and ready to blame you for the faults of their own boat.  Just saying....

Kevin: Again, not sure or agree on this statement...I think you didn't like our answers and we didn't sugar coat it. IPB has had issues just like any other skiff builder. However, we all made mistakes and will learn from it. we chatted yesterday morning and after our call is when i found out you signed a doc cause our shop man knew we didn't water test it yet. So I called you back and you played it off like it's no big deal and it shouldn't matter...and before that we e-mailed you letting you know the boat would not get in for service for a week and we would then need two weeks at that point to correct it and then you e-mail us back 4 days later asking if the boat was fixed yet....so again, two sides to every story and I also said give me till today to get back with you on a date to get it in here ( as we at East Cape make appts. for warranty work, instead of drop and go ) and we'll get it done but i see you posted on here first to either vent or smear? Either way we'll do our part and get you fixed. hopefully you wont rush us like previous  times and know if you should have a problem in the future to please call me direct like you did yesterday morning as I told you I wasn't aware of the situation but now that I know, I'll get it done! I look forward to your call an if anybody else has any questions to please call me or him. tight lines and I'm sorry to post as I personally try to make everything right and realize it also takes two to make a problem and for that I'm sorry...
Kevin

IP Logged

iMacattack
Global Moderator

busy, too busy

Ft. Lauderdale FL
Reply #10 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 4:30pm

Quote:
IPB as a whole has been put on idle/hold as we haven't built any in a long time

Do you anticipate a restart to production? Can you please clarify the current status of IBP?

Cheers
Capt. Jan

IP Logged

HialeahAngler
Forum Member

The City of Progress
Reply #11 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 7:05pm

you were hit by a car, used a mud motor, and you still want to cry about it? please.

IP Logged

East Cape
Forum Member

Reply #12 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 8:36pm

Jan,
We will build a IPB if someone wants one but frankly for the last year or so we've been working on our East Cape line up and the 23' that we hope to have done in the next few weeks...
Marc, brad, and I realize the IPB is a good skiff but at this time we all our focused on other things...we just closed the mold and rolled it in the corner. We will bring it out of the darkness but I've made it clear since day one that Marc and I run East Cape and Brad runs IPB...
The two aren't the same nor do they cost the same. Things are good for us but this issue was a learning lesson for Marc , and I. Sucks it happened and hopefully IPB will rock after were done doing the other stuff.

iMacattack wrote on Jul 12th, 2011 at 4:30pm:
Quote:
IPB as a whole has been put on idle/hold as we haven't built any in a long time

Do you anticipate a restart to production? Can you please clarify the current status of IBP?

Cheers
Capt. Jan

IP Logged

iMacattack
Global Moderator

busy, too busy

Ft. Lauderdale FL
Reply #13 - Jul 12th, 2011 at 8:50pm

Kevin,

Thank you for the update and clarification for our members. We look forward to new products/projects from East Cape.

Cheers
Capt. Jan

IP Logged

JRH
Forum Member

FL
Reply #14 - Jul 13th, 2011 at 9:47am

Kev,

It's a little hypocritical to say this:

East Cape wrote on Jul 12th, 2011 at 3:26pm:
Kevin: Actually I'm not pleased to see this as I think there's two sides to every story. I've responded in the original body below and as always, learned from this to better "us" as a company in the future...I also hate to read stuff like about any builder as sometimes we as a whole aren't given a fair shake.

And then in the same post throw Brad under the bus:

East Cape wrote on Jul 12th, 2011 at 3:26pm:
The lesson we learned is our partner was handling the issue but failed to let us know since IPB as a whole has been put on idle/hold as we haven't built any in a long time and your skiff was built with IPB employees and in no way a part of East Cape. East Cape is another company owned by Marc and I. I told you IPB was "idle" and I would take care of you and have "East Cape' fix it this time as the last few times all your issues were with my partner Brad of IPB. Then I see this post...
As a builder it hurts cause there's two sides to every story but when a customer signs a doc stating he "knows" the issue wasnt fixed or in question then I expect a little more than your call to me yesterday in anger. Your action is caused my reaction.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 3 ... 5
Send Topic Print
Advertisement