microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Longtail Mud Motor Kits for $399? (Read 18427 times)
Fowl Habit
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Longtail Mud Motor Kits for $399?
Jun 28th, 2011 at 5:12pm

Hi, New guy to the forum.  Has anybody ever used one of these longtails on a gheenoe?

http://cgi.ebay.com/ebaymotors/COMPLETE-LONGTAIL-MUD-MOTOR-KIT-3-5-7HP-_W0QQcmdZ...

Any input would be appreciated.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
TomFL
Forum Member

Palm City, Florida
Re: Longtail Mud Motor Kits for $399?
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 5:14pm

Forgive me if I'm wrong, but this has a little bit of a SPAM flavor to it.....no?

-T

If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

IP Logged

Nismoron
Forum Member

I Love my Ghee-not!

Montgomery, AL
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 6:13pm

Yeah, but watch the youtube video on the right at the bottom of the ebay listing.  INSANE!!! Shocked

IP Logged

makin moves
Forum Member

Hernando, The nature coast
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 6:30pm

I agree with Tom

IP Logged

After Hours2
Forum Member

Legend in my own Mind!

Orlando
Reply #4 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 7:28pm

Hmmm. Having owned plenty of longtails I must say the price is tempting.. However, from mud buddy to hyper these machines are built to withstand the worst of terrain. Having said that, I see no info as to a warranty for the chassis and from inspection it surely looks like a cheap knock off of a similar well known/built product. I would stay away from this and stick with a reputable product. Every hunter and marsh runner I see on the water seems to have the same opinion I do from experience.  Cool

IP Logged

rummya87
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #5 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 12:23am

If this isn't spam and you're asking for real....

I'd go with a reputable company.  You do not want to find yourself with a major component broken on the water and worse, when you finally make it home find out that the only way to get the parts you need is to purchase a whole new kit!
The high price of the reputable companies is due to hours of intense research and abuse, and the manpower and machinery to create or locate critical parts that these motors require.  Skimping on a MM is a bad idea and the first time you try to run through the nasty with an underpowered or underbuilt MM you will wish you didn't
You can find good used MM's for very cheap this time of year.  Get the highest HP you can for your boat, if you take the "I don't care how fast I go, I just want to get there" attitude, you'll be kicking yourself when that guy you saw that launched behind you at the ramp is passing you and headed on a bee line to your spot.

For a 15'4" gheenoe, I would seriously look into Copperhead's 10 HP motor, serious cash up front but I've heard great things about both the motors and the customer service.

IP Logged

FlatCat
Forum Member

Reply #6 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 6:41am

Probably like most chinese items...... Looks sorta ok and will work for light use.
I wan't to see the video of the new Honda engine falling in the water when the stamped pot metal bracket breaks, or when the cheap fasteners snap, or maybe when the $12 prop hits a branch.

IP Logged

FlatCat
Forum Member

Reply #7 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 8:17am

I don't mean to sound too anti Chinese, but I own a printing co, and a cabinet shop and consistently see people swayed by a low price and corresponding low quality, then replacing those items with something better.

IP Logged

Fowl Habit
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #8 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 3:06pm

Hey guys.  Thanks for taking the time to give me your thoughts. 
Great observation by After Hours 2 about the warranty.  I emailed the seller asking about warranty information and replacement parts.  They said they provide a two year warranty, and sell all replacement parts to rebuild. 
Thanks Rummya87.   Iíve also heard good things about Copperhead.  But, they only make surface drives, and donít offer a longtail to my knowledge.   I would prefer a longtail because it can reach a lot of places a surface drive cant.
I might take Rummyís advise and try to locate a bargain in a used longtail.  Thanks guys.
Iíd like to thank TomFL and Makin Moves for their warm greeting to a new member.  I joined microskiff.com because I believed it to be a place that encouraged new membership, questions, and the sharing of information and ideas.  Iím a member of a woodworking forum, and hunting forum, and never experienced such a welcoming committee.  Just because my first post was a question was about a product I was curious about, doesnít mean I have a dog in the hunt.  You guys should lighten up on the hall monitor comments to new members.

IP Logged

NoeEttica
Forum Member

Noeettica.com
Reply #9 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 3:11pm

And Yes Sir ! Welcome ...

How bad could it be ?  I would drive down there to save the Shipping ...

There †WILL be NO frigging in the Rigging Untill the Rigging She is rigged for Frigging ...
IP Logged

Gramps_
Forum Member

Living & Dying in 3/4
Time

Headin' to Houston
Reply #10 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 3:25pm

Fowl - Welcome to the forum! We're just a tight knit group around here.  And it's often the case when someone new (less than 5 posts) jumps on and says hey go look at this product! is spamming and never comes back. That's it, we welcome any and all but don't just try to hawk your wares then leave.  Wink

But to answer the question at hand, I would not buy that kit without inspecting it first.  Over my time of buying cheaper tools and having parts crack, break or never work correctly to save a few bucks, well it ended up costing me in the end.  However, with a mud motor that could leave me stranded 10 miles from the ramp in the dark, in waist deep muck, I'm not cheaping out.

The outlaw or pirate mindset is very liberating and free of stress.
IP Logged

makin moves
Forum Member

Hernando, The nature coast
Reply #11 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 3:30pm

If you dont have a dog in the hunt then dont take offence. Welcome to the forum. Ill take a jack and coke Smiley

IP Logged

iMacattack
Global Moderator

busy, too busy

Ft. Lauderdale FL
Reply #12 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 3:30pm

FH, please let me be the first to apologies on behalf of the entire microskiff family. As the site increases its prominence in the shallow water community, our visibility and platform as an advertising tool has as well. There have been a rash of "hit and run" posts shilling products. So we are a little on the cautious side. Call it growing pains.

Cheers
Capt. Jan

IP Logged

Bob
Forum Member

West Coast, Florida
Reply #13 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 7:56pm

iMacattack wrote on Jun 29th, 2011 at 3:30pm:
There have been a rash of "hit and run" posts shilling products.
Cheers
Capt. Jan

Most of the shilling the I witness comes from the "Tight Knit" group on this site, not the newcomers.  Just an observation.

Bob ruins every forum.

IP Logged

DuckNut
Forum Member

Brandon, FL

Reply #14 - Jun 29th, 2011 at 9:09pm

I would not buy this UNLESS I took the $1200 in savings and bought a used one from a reputable manufacturer.  Get that prop bogged down in the weeds and mud, whip the handle around and watch the shaft snap off the motor.  There is no support ant all to the shaft except for the four bolts on a 4" pattern.

Not part of the tight knit groupies and not spamming, but I am staying in a Holiday Inn right now.   Grin

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Advertisement