Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
17' Twin Vee (Read 3966 times)
TheBrazilNut
Forum Member

Merritt Island
17' Twin Vee
Jun 28th, 2011 at 10:22am

I'm going to be looking at a new 17' Twin Vee basic hull and trailer. Looking to set-up as a tiller with a 50hp Tohatsu.

Looking to run the beaches off Port Canaveral and bring down to the Keys for Diving/Spearfishing.

How capable is this hull? I'm not really looking to go off shore but might on nice days.

Anyone have some opinions on this? I have been on Cats, but not this model or this small.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
Brett
Pro Staff

Palm Coast, Florida
Re: 17' Twin Vee
Reply #1 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 10:52am

I did a factory tour about 6 years ago.
Then went for a couple of test rides on the 17 and 19.
Hull felt solid underfoot at rest.
Had a soft squishy feeling ride with the air trapped under the hull.
Never went offshore in one, only 1 foot inshore chop.
Ate that right up.

todays bumper sticker...

Does this truck make my neck look red?

IP Logged

TomFL
Forum Member

Palm City, Florida
Reply #2 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 11:05am

They are a local company near me.

Do your research on the web and you'll see that's one of the most seaworthy and quality-built boat brands made. They ride through anything and nobody's ever heard of any issues like water intrusion, particularly in one of the sponsons, water/foam saturation, listing, 'glass peeling, gelcoat issues, etc.

The resale on them is top notch because of the stellar history of the company. People are falling over themselves to buy used ones if and when they ever come on the market.

Do some research by typing in "twin vee problems" or similar and then go for it!

Wink

-T

If someone with multiple personalities threatens to kill himself, is it considered a hostage situation?

IP Logged

Les Lammers
Forum Member

Ft. Myers
Reply #3 - Jun 28th, 2011 at 2:02pm

Go for a wet test and you will buy one. *I* like cat hulls.  Smiley

I ended up buying a Livingston 14 with a 25 Yammy 2 stroke.

Here is a Twin Vee 17 in St. Pete. I bet you can get them to deal as it has been on BT a good while.

http://www.boattrader.com/listing/2008-Twin-Vee-17-Classic-93305635

Les+Lammers Les+Lammers  
IP Logged

lamarsh
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Orlando FL
Reply #4 - Jul 6th, 2011 at 9:18pm

Great boats,  I looked at them hard a few years ago when I was in the market for a bay boat.  Cat boats are very popular on the northern gulf coast and a neighbor had a twin vee I fished out of several times.  He had the 20' and I was looking at the 19' Bay Cat and 17'.  Not fancy but very versatile fishing platform and twin vee has a solid reputation.  They eat chop up and due to the rectangle shape it has a much larger fishing area than most 17' boats.  Should not need as much HP as you would with mono hull.  The boats I was looking at were gel coat splatter with top cap, my only issue was that storage was limited.  Ride is different, especially in turns and when fishing in crossing seas.    
Good luck.

IP Logged

CarolinaJim
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Valdosta, GA
Reply #5 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 11:27am

One of the things I like most about a cat is the drift. Turn the motor full to one side and you can drift along a shoreline with the wind on or offshore. There will be some on or off shore component to the drift but nothing like a mono hull. If the wind is parallel to the shore just center the motor the drift is slower than most mono hulls as well.

My electronics cost more than my BMT.

IP Logged

TheBrazilNut
Forum Member

Merritt Island
Reply #6 - Jul 7th, 2011 at 7:40pm

TomFL wrote on Jun 28th, 2011 at 11:05am:
They are a local company near me.

Do your research on the web and you'll see that's one of the most seaworthy and quality-built boat brands made. They ride through anything and nobody's ever heard of any issues like water intrusion, particularly in one of the sponsons, water/foam saturation, listing, 'glass peeling, gelcoat issues, etc.

The resale on them is top notch because of the stellar history of the company. People are falling over themselves to buy used ones if and when they ever come on the market.

Do some research by typing in "twin vee problems" or similar and then go for it!

Wink

-T

I know that Twin Vee has had issues in the past, but I think the old owner recently bought back the company and the product has been much better.

Anyone been on a 17' before and can tell me if they would work for what I'm looking for?

IP Logged

Les Lammers
Forum Member

Ft. Myers
Reply #7 - Jul 8th, 2011 at 1:52am

Call them. I think you can get a test ride in Ft. Pierce.

Les+Lammers Les+Lammers  
IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertisement