microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Homosassa river and markers (Read 2608 times)
litpipe
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

central florida
Homosassa river and markers
May 26th, 2011 at 5:04pm

Does anyone know how the markers are in the Homosassa river? I have heard that they are not being tended to and may have moved near the bay. This interests me because I am scalloping in July and have only been on the river once. I know there are some dangerous rocks and do not want to find them with my boat. Thanks.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
makin moves
Forum Member

Hernando, The nature coast
Re: Homosassa river and markers
Reply #1 - May 26th, 2011 at 5:10pm

they should be fine there is one spot that gets a little trickey but other than that youll be fine. If your going to be going scalloping follow the crowed of boats going out. Be carefull in a microskiff you have 20 to 35 foot boats running full throttle in 25 mph zones with no regard.

IP Logged

jmarkklock
Forum Member
Founding Member

Reply #2 - May 31st, 2011 at 8:59am

makin moves wrote on May 26th, 2011 at 5:10pm:
they should be fine there is one spot that gets a little trickey but other than that youll be fine. If your going to be going scalloping follow the crowed of boats going out. Be carefull in a microskiff you have 20 to 35 foot boats running full throttle in 25 mph zones with no regard.

x2

Earlier this year, one of the markers at "Hells Gate" had broken loose. (58 B - I think). It has since been fixed.  It can get a little sporty when one of the the above mentioned 30 ft boats go WOT in the middle of the channel where it is narrow.  Should be plenty of boats to follow out and in.  If not, just take it easy until you get a bearing on the next channel marker and remember "red, right, return"

IP Logged

litpipe
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

central florida
Reply #3 - May 31st, 2011 at 9:47am

I appreciate it. I have heard the same about hells gate. We are renting a pontoon so I will let that go a head of my boat   Grin  ..... but will also follow others. We will be out there early in the season so Im sure there will be plenty.

IP Logged

FlatCat
Forum Member

Reply #4 - Jun 17th, 2011 at 11:45am

After you enter the gulf I usually go out about 1.5 mi, then head north a little and anchor near other pods of boats.
I don't think Mcraes let's their rental boats go in the gulf, but Magic Manatee marina does.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertisement