microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Mercury 25 hp Sea Pro information needed! (Read 13172 times)
TheBrazilNut
Forum Member

Merritt Island
Mercury 25 hp Sea Pro information needed!
Apr 9th, 2011 at 4:17pm

In the next few months more then likely I will be buying another Mercury 25hp 2 stroke. I'm going to be buying a new one, but have some questions.

It seems there are two types of of these motors made today:

*The Mercury 25hp 2 stroke that stopped being sold in the US in 05' which has F-N-R on the tiller handle. This motor can be bought and shipped here from AU and other European Counties.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=2&ved=0CBsQFjAB&url=http%3A%2F%2Fww...

* The 2nd Mercury 25hp 2 stroke Sea Pro is a commercial grade motor with S.S. parts, F-N-R on the side. I also read that there is an extra water induction on the nose cone as well as the two standard ones. You can also remove a restrictor from the carb and turn it into a 30hp. This is a Tohatsu from around 96' still being produced in Latin America and can be bought in Canada.

http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&source=web&cd=1&ved=0CBQQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fww...

I have had a lot of small Mercury outboards. The all in one tiller is a nice feature, but not when compaired to a Merc/Tohatsu IMO.

Does anyone have addition information on these motors or info that I might have wrong?

« Last Edit: Apr 9th, 2011 at 4:18pm by TheBrazilNut »  

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
floridanative
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Palm Beach County
Re: Mercury 25 hp Sea Pro information needed!
Reply #1 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 7:02pm

If you PM me your email I can send you the manual for the Merc 20/25 and it has some good specs that show the differences between the Sea Pro 25 and the regular consumer 25.  The main difference I noticed was the main jet on the Sea Pro carb is 0.080 in. while the other 25 is 0.076 in. and the 20 is 0.044 in.  I also think I remember reading on the Mercury website that the Sea Pros have a tougher lower unit.

IP Logged

TheBrazilNut
Forum Member

Merritt Island
Reply #2 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 7:48pm

floridanative wrote on Apr 9th, 2011 at 7:02pm:
If you PM me your email I can send you the manual for the Merc 20/25 and it has some good specs that show the differences between the Sea Pro 25 and the regular consumer 25.  The main difference I noticed was the main jet on the Sea Pro carb is 0.080 in. while the other 25 is 0.076 in. and the 20 is 0.044 in.  I also think I remember reading on the Mercury website that the Sea Pros have a tougher lower unit.

Thanks.

I have a side question to that. I know a lot of people have asked over the years,but I have never read how hard is it to turn a 20hp to a 25hp? Sounds like it's just the carb?

IP Logged

Azul Belize
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Belize
Reply #3 - Apr 9th, 2011 at 8:03pm

Might want to talk to these guys:

http://www.smalloutboards.com/m99.htm

IP Logged

flipper66
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #4 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 2:46pm

I talked with a long time Mercury Mechanic about those 25 sea pro engines from small outboards. He said they were great engines but they were made by taihatsu or nissan...I caled the dealer @ samll outboards and they said you could get parts for them through nissan or taihatsu...Hope this helps

IP Logged

Railroader
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #5 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 8:51pm

The "Mercury" Sea Pro is nothing more than an old school Tohatsu 25...Nothing "Mercury" except the decals.

I consider myself VERY lucky to have found an '08 model earlier this year.  Been running it on my Gheenoe Classic.

VERY fast, VERY strong, VERY durable motors.

Runs on 50:1, idles a little rough, screams like a banshee at WOT.

Built like a tank, damn near bulletproof.

Making it a 30 hp is not QUITE as easy as removing a restrictor, you also gotta reset the timing a little... Wink

There's not a 25 on Planet Earth I would trade it for...

IP Logged

TheBrazilNut
Forum Member

Merritt Island
Reply #6 - Apr 10th, 2011 at 9:01pm

Railroader wrote on Apr 10th, 2011 at 8:51pm:
The "Mercury" Sea Pro is nothing more than an old school Tohatsu 25...Nothing "Mercury" except the decals.

I consider myself VERY lucky to have found an '08 model earlier this year.  Been running it on my Gheenoe Classic.

VERY fast, VERY strong, VERY durable motors.

Runs on 50:1, idles a little rough, screams like a banshee at WOT.

Built like a tank, damn near bulletproof.

Making it a 30 hp is not QUITE as easy as removing a restrictor, you also gotta reset the timing a little... Wink

There's not a 25 on Planet Earth I would trade it for... 

I think I'm pretty much set on buying this motor if my new skiff performs well with the '99 I have. I have two Merc. 25 2 strokes now, but want a new one for my new skiff and it will be converted to a 30hp.  Grin 

I have a few questions that I will PM you since you have one.

IP Logged

HollicaSnooze
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 3:20pm

I am very interested in the Sea Pro 25 hp. Is small outboards.com the best choice to buy from? Any issues with importing a 2 stroke in 2011?
That's a cool 4 blade you are running, can you tell us more about it?

IP Logged

anytide
Forum Member

lost
Reply #8 - Apr 14th, 2011 at 4:22pm

merc./mariner have been jap. for long time..
-good info. here..
http://www.mercurypartsexpress.com/us/
    -anytide

www.skinnyanglersgear.com

IP Logged

TheBrazilNut
Forum Member

Merritt Island
Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2011 at 7:26pm

HollicaSnooze wrote on Apr 14th, 2011 at 3:20pm:
I am very interested in the Sea Pro 25 hp. Is small outboards.com the best choice to buy from? Any issues with importing a 2 stroke in 2011?

That is pretty much the only place that can get them from what I have found. They are made in Japan and shipped to Canada.

Like others have said they are nothing more than a mid '90's Tohatsu, but made with-in the last year.

IP Logged

Railroader
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #10 - Apr 17th, 2011 at 7:54am

HollicaSnooze wrote on Apr 14th, 2011 at 3:20pm:

The Prop is a Tohatsu Catalog item.  10X10 pitch.  $232.

It comes in a Tohatsu box, but the fine print says Solas Saturn..

IP Logged

HollicaSnooze
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #11 - Apr 18th, 2011 at 6:34pm

Ordered a Sea Pro 25 hp today.....hope to have it rigged and running soon....have a 13" Powertech on an earlier 25 hp Merc that I will start with.....will keep y'all posted....

IP Logged

lemaymiami
Forum Member

south florida, 'Glades
Reply #12 - Apr 19th, 2011 at 8:12am

One minor point to consider if buying an "out of country" motor.... Will you have any warranty at all?  I ask because most export motors I'm familiar with don't have a warranty in the USA....

Tight Lines
Capt Bob LeMay

IP Logged

flipper66
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #13 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:02am

I asked my Merc Mechanic and he said the "international warranty" could apply...may want to call smalloutboards.com to ask...

IP Logged

lemaymiami
Forum Member

south florida, 'Glades
Reply #14 - Apr 20th, 2011 at 9:31pm

Since there's a lot less money involved in a small motor, whether it has a warranty or not isn't a big issue.  If it was me, though, I'd want something from the manufacturer about any warranty so that I knew where I stood before spending a penny... Dealers come and go but the warranty stuff comes from the manufacturer (and sometimes even the factory has trouble getting a dealer to honor that warranty....).

Tight Lines
Capt Bob LeMay

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Advertisement