microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
carolina skiff, Home made back deck? side gunnel"decks" (Read 5065 times)
logansboat
Ex Member

I Love microskiff.com!

carolina skiff, Home made back deck? side gunnel"decks"
Feb 10th, 2011 at 4:09pm

I have a deck but i don't like it, It doesn't go all the way back to the transom leaving a ugly gap.

I want it to be flush against the transom with a dry storage underneath. But when i put the deck on how would i add supports?

Now i was just wondering if anyone with a carolina skiff has tried to extend the side gunnels "deck" like on the flats boat?

I honestly think it would look pretty cool.

I'll put up some designs.

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
firecat1981
Forum Member

BBA Counselor

Lakeland
Re: carolina skiff, Home made back deck? side gunnel"decks"
Reply #1 - Feb 10th, 2011 at 5:12pm

Can you do all that, yes, will it be a pain, yes, will it be costly, yes, a pain in the A$$, yes.

carolina skiffs are made as plug and play boats, thats the beauty of them, but it's also why they never look finished very well. You can deck it out like anything else, but it will add a bit of weight and the main thing that would turn me off is to add the caps and flush decks you will need to do a ton of grinding on the gelcoat and also remove and most likely replace the rubrail. Pricey stuff.

I would build my own bolt on decks and be done with it.

It's not a hobby, it's an addiction!

IP Logged

muddminnow
Forum Member

BE THE LURE

Lake Mary / Orlando
Reply #2 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 2:27am

Hey logansboat,
   I've never seen any CS with side gunnals like a flats boat. I purchased a rear deck but, I would have built a rear deck if I had not purchased one. My CS 17 ft I decked from the front casting platform to the center console. I did major overkill on the top deck thickness but, that boat was designed to handle weight and still float 6 inches. The weight is not a factor on these boats if your going to deck it. I did it, added a lot of weight and it still went 35 mph.
Here is a picture

The rear deck I had was a CS deck but Build your own. You will love it. You don't even have to fiberglass the deck in perminitly, just 5200 and some screws if you want. I did.
You can use 1/2 inch plywood with bracing, cover it in fiberglass or I painted mine with epoxy paint which worked very well. But, my top decking was 3/4 ply with fiberglassed raped 3 times which was major overkill. My requirments I wanted was having a flat deck that did not flex, I got it.

IP Logged

lojjjan
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #3 - Feb 12th, 2011 at 11:14pm

Yah, Like i mean i think i could make it the way i want it, i even got a buddy with over the transom livewells on his and the look good. but CS doesn't make em anymore.

IP Logged

muddminnow
Forum Member

BE THE LURE

Lake Mary / Orlando
Reply #4 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 5:36pm

"You"   "can"   "do"   "it"..... I have faith in you. Just give it a try.  I dare you do be adventurous.

IP Logged

logansboat
Ex Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #5 - Feb 13th, 2011 at 6:09pm

the thing is i want a longer boat

IP Logged

muddminnow
Forum Member

BE THE LURE

Lake Mary / Orlando
Reply #6 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 3:32am

Now we get down to the truth   A-Ha!
So you say you want a bigger boat.....

CS has a 28 footer. That's a beast. I saw one on craigs list. It was so long the guy had to take 2 shots to post.

Just joking   Grin

Ok, now down to business, There is a very long and wide flat bottom boat that floats very shallow. You can build or find on craigs list maybe but, I don't recall the name. The guy put a tunnel under it. This boat ran skinny. I'm sure others here can give you ideas.

IP Logged

firecat1981
Forum Member

BBA Counselor

Lakeland
Reply #7 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 6:55am

something tells me this is the boat MM is refering too

http://www.bateau.com/proddetail.php?prod=XF20

Fairly simply build, but a huge undertaking, I would try to fix up your boat first since that will be fairly inexensive before dumping thousands into a build.

It's not a hobby, it's an addiction!

IP Logged

muddminnow
Forum Member

BE THE LURE

Lake Mary / Orlando
Reply #8 - Feb 15th, 2011 at 9:33pm

Exactly the boat. This would be the boat for a family of 4 to go flats fishing HA!HA!   Thanks FC, I like this boat even though it would beat you to death in heavy chop, this boat would work for me.

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertisement