microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Gheenoe 15'4" question (Read 1192 times)
old sarge
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Gheenoe 15'4" question
Jun 26th, 2010 at 10:23pm

Continuing in my search of a new boat and really apprciated the answers to my last newbie questions. I'm looking a 15'4" Gheenoe of NMZ and have a question as to wear I can run these. My intended areas of use will be rivers, small and large lakes (Lake Moultrie and Marion in SC), with an occasional trip in salt water on the intercoastal waterway and tidal creeks. Is the 15'4" safe to run on big lakes and on the intercoatal where I might encounter some shop form other larger boats.
I know is is great in calm water and can get into real skinny water but I am a little concerned about how "big"  of water I can go with this.
Thanks

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
flatsmaster
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Re: Gheenoe 15'4" question
Reply #1 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 10:36pm

Ive run in 1 to 2 foot chop on the intercoastal no problem but thats the worst its been when ive been out there.

IP Logged

NoeEttica
Forum Member

Noeettica.com
Reply #2 - Jun 26th, 2010 at 11:50pm

We have a local lake and It gets "sloshy"  and is not a lot of fun you should stick to "calmer " water with a highsider ... Gheenoes are purpose built the NMz's and Highsiders are lightweight and to be light they are NOT designed for much of a "chop"

If you want to play in bigger water get a 13' Whaler ....

Dave

There  WILL be NO frigging in the Rigging Untill the Rigging She is rigged for Frigging ...
IP Logged

gheenew-river
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #3 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 11:28am

I tried to take my gheenoe into the intracoastal.  In the canals leading up to it we were fine but once we got into rougher water we actually started to take water on over the front.  I quickly turned the boat around and headed back,  I would not try again without a bildge pump in my boat.
Good Luck and be safe
Adrian

IP Logged

old sarge
Forum Member

I Love microskiff.com!

Reply #4 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 12:39pm

Thanks for the responses guys. It looks like it would be iffy at best to run a 15'4" on the intercoastal or the bigger lakes we have around here. There is always a good amount of chop from wind or other boats. I guess I'm looking for the impossible, because I also want to run around on some of the smaller rivers and creeks we have. Oh well, the search continues.

Thanks for your help!

IP Logged

krainium
Forum Member

Got snook?

Stuart
Reply #5 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 2:12pm

A NMZ will handle about 1-2 white caps at the most I do it weekly with out any problems crossing an area called the crossroads locally. Its where the ICW channel and the channel heading out the inlet intersect.

A big bilge pump is a must.
« Last Edit: Jun 27th, 2010 at 2:13pm by krainium »  

IP Logged

NoeTopia
Forum Member

North Carolina
Reply #6 - Jun 27th, 2010 at 3:04pm

Yeah, the ICW can get rough especially when the tide and wind are running opposite. I have not had my 13' highside in that yet  but have had other small skiffs that made it through OK. I have hit some tall wakes in the local river that almost came over the bow. I would venture to say good handling skills and a bilge pump and you should be OK. Just exercise good judgement.

11' Gator Pirogue
13' Gheenoe w/ 8 hp Johnson
15' Arrowglass Tarpon (Vintage 1970) w/ 48 Johnson

IP Logged

Page Index Toggle Pages: 1
Send Topic Print
Advertisement