microskiff.com - do more with less
Welcome, Guest. Please Login or Register
Find Us On Facebook  Follow Microskiff.com on Twitter
  HomeHelpSearchLoginRegister  

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Release Boats Classic 15 Factory Visit (Read 5951 times)
Miami101
Forum Member

Release Boats Classic 15 Factory Visit
Apr 12th, 2008 at 6:28pm

In my quest for the perfect fishing machine today I headed out to Release Boats to take a closer look at the Classic 15. John from Release boats was more then happy to show some of the models he had on site, and past projects. I have to say so far the Classic 15 looks great, and has a good amount of fishing space, yet it looks like I can get into some skinny waters....
>}}}}}*>
[size=14][/size]

Also I like the fact that I can still hit Biscane Bay with out getting wet, or in fear of other boats. The Classic 15 can be configured with 40 HP to 50 HP engine. The front of the boat comes with a nice storage box that can be coverted into a live well. John had a page full of options for me to go over.

The options were endless, and John was open to new ideas. He even showed me a Classic 15 he was working on for a customer in Camo with hunting chairs>> Embarrassed
Price: The price was why I wanted to see this boat in the 1st place. I had be coming here to this site now for over a year hoping someone would put up that perfect fishing machine but I had no luck. Walley someone who I respect in the world of fishing had posted his Classic 15 for sale. I loved the look, and feel of it. I loved more the price which was in the ball park of the Gheenoes.

Plus the mojo on Walley Classic 15, and the fact he won a few fishing event on this fishing machine did not hurt. I could see myself realing in that big one. Smiley

At the end Walley determine he loved the boat to much to sale it, but provided some great information on the boat. He told me the boat pole like a dream, handle shop, and was a very dry ride.

The price is around the same cost as a Gheenoe LT25 model....new from the shop.

Thanks to you guys on this site I have gone from not knowing much about Microskiff to be able handle myself on the topic real nice. Also the information you guys have provided from fishing spots, Boat projects, and even hanging out has been great. I hope this posting porovides some good information.

Here is some basic information:

SPECIFICATIONS
Length:  14’ 8"
Beam:  5’ 6”
Draft:   5”
Weight: 485 Lbs.
Dead Rise:  0*
Transom Height: 20”
Fuel Capacity: 6 Gallons Auxiliary
{Optional 15 Gallon, .125 Gauge Aluminum Built-In}
3 Persons or 575 Lbs.
850 Lbs. Persons, Motor & Gear
Hull Materials: Fiberglass / Composite
{Optional Kevlar Reinforcement}
Max HP:  50 HP
 Smiley

Here are some sexy photos:

IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/3z.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/1z.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/DSCN3296.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/DSCN3338.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/DSCN3340.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/DSCN3344.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/DSCN3360.jpg[/img]
IMG]http://i292.photobucket.com/albums/mm5/miami101photos/BOAT-1.jpg[/img]

Well folks that all for now:

If I get this ride I will let you know the out come: Good, or Bad!

Carlos Miami101

IP Logged

Support those who support microskiff.com.
gheenoeguy
Forum Member

Broward County Florida
Re: Release Boats Classic 15 Factory Visit
Reply #1 - Apr 12th, 2008 at 7:33pm

I also like this boat. I spoke to Wally  and considerd buying his boat when he was selling it.  I ended up going with something bigger that I could fish the flats and run offshore. Good luck with your decision. Before you buy make sure you sea trial it on A choppy day.

IP Logged

Miami101
Forum Member

Reply #2 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 8:10am

Thanks for the feed back. I would should check out how this boat ride in the shop.
« Last Edit: Apr 13th, 2008 at 8:13am by Miami101 »  

IP Logged

NoeEttica
Forum Member

Noeettica.com
Reply #3 - Apr 13th, 2008 at 8:55pm

I don't think it will run as skinny as a gheenoe ... Dave

Looks better for choppy bay crossing ....

There  WILL be NO frigging in the Rigging Untill the Rigging She is rigged for Frigging ...
IP Logged

microtom
YaBB Administrator
Founding Member

Founder of Microskiff,
Member of the Gheenoe
Army

Longwood, FL
Reply #4 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 6:28pm

Miami101 wrote on Apr 12th, 2008 at 6:28pm:
[b]In my quest for the perfect fishing machine

Flawed Premise  Grin

Great post though  Wink

"the smaller the boat, the more you will use it" - CleanSlate
WWW microtom geekp0wer geekp0wer  
IP Logged

Miami101
Forum Member

Reply #5 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 8:13pm

Thanks for the input...I hope to have more posting........up soon.
I have lot's of fishing photos, but from my Kayak.....so I don't think it would fit in on this site.

IP Logged

thresher
Forum Member
Founding Member

St Augustine
Reply #6 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 8:54pm

VERY pretty boat!  I love the lapstrake finish.  A little strange that they're still hanging the poling platform over the back.  The draft improves dramatically when you get the platform a bit more forward (and away from the motor).  Still, very pretty.  I bet it'll boogy with a 50 on the back!

In a thunderstorm at 11 PM in an 14' aluminum boat, anchored in a pass through West Featherbed Bank just East of Black Point in Biscayne Bay with the wind gusting 40, these words were said to me:&&&&"Brett, I'm not scared of the one with my name on it!&&It's all these bolts addressed: To Whom It May Concern!"&&

IP Logged

captnron
Ex Member

Reply #7 - Apr 14th, 2008 at 9:34pm

Nice lines Cool

IP Logged

Weedy
Forum Member
Founding Member

Cape Coral, Fl
Reply #8 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 3:40am

Make sure you look in the not so obvious areas for quality. Out of sight, out of mind! Really surprised at the quality of this model at a Florida Sportsman Show, looked more like a first out of the mold boat even thought they have been around for awhile. Lapstrake was nice old time look though.

Support the Country you LIVE in OR, Live in the country You support!

IP Logged

deerfly
Forum Member

Opinicus iracibilus

Reply #9 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 8:25am

ditto, its small stuff, but just looking at the picture things like the wobbly rub rail make me wonder what other parts attention to detail is lacking. I worked for the legendary Mako marine for a few years and know what kinds of things can and do happen in the course of meeting the production schedule. Weedy is dead on, you have to open every hatch, look at every nook and cranny, resin puddles, dry laminates under hatchs and so on. The rigging quality (wires, hydraulics, plumbing, hardware and fastener installation, etc) are usually a good barometer of how the entire boat was put together. If a builder slacks on the obvious stuff, you can be fairly certain the things you can't see aren't much better.

I agree with the guys that these are very neat looking boats, but the fit and finish needs some work though. Sorry, to rain on the parade, but the vast majority of boats are built by very low cost labor. For the most part its a very low-tech business, mold care, station by station supervision and rigorous quality control are what sets them apart. - eric

doing more with less

IP Logged

MATT
Forum Member
Founding Member

Vero Beach
Reply #10 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:52am

LOOKS TIPPY

IP Logged

Miami101
Forum Member

Reply #11 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 3:45pm

Great feed back guys.....
Does anyone own this model, and can provide 1st hand? I would love to hear from them, and maybe even see some photos.

The only person I've talk to was Walley...and he would not sale me his boat. He had it for sale for $8500 with a 50 HP Merc on it. Let me see if I still have his E-mail we can get his take. New you can get a nice boat for around $12,000 to $13,000 loaded....unloaded it could be any were from $8,000 on up...

I'm in love with the way it looks....old time look really get's me. I will e-mail them to ask them questions on how the boat is built....for the above questions.

Guys I also wanted to state I want to take a trip over to visit the Gheenoe shop to visit with Pugar Gheen. I think the Gheenoe is also a great fishing machine. Ask Pugar the amount of questions I have sent him. I like at all the options...........If anyone lives by the shop please take some photos....I would love to know what models are next....what proto boats they are working....

I should be able to get down there in maybe two weeks. I also want to visit the Gladesman shop.....

« Last Edit: Apr 15th, 2008 at 4:00pm by Miami101 »  

IP Logged

Weedy
Forum Member
Founding Member

Cape Coral, Fl
Reply #12 - Apr 15th, 2008 at 5:39pm

MATT wrote on Apr 15th, 2008 at 9:52am:
LOOKS TIPPY

Not that I would rain on his parade (Matt), but I was with a forum member at the show when i was looking at it. He said the same thing about the look of the boat. However, being in the business (with a well known builder (past tense Cry), I spotted things that you normally wouldn't let leave the shop floor for a "off the street sale", let alone a "Show Boat". It concerned me that the items I saw where so visable with no reguard to them at all. I do not know how they handle in the wet stuff, so I will not comment on that, Please look the boat over VERY CAREFULLY, prior to signing on the dotted line. There are alot of boats out there right now, it is a buyers market! Just my $.02.
Weedy

IP Logged

Miami101
Forum Member

Reply #13 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 9:01am

Good stuff.....
That is what we are here for good information. I guess next time I have to take a closer look.
I was taken by the design of the boat, size, reviews, and cost.....

Also the shop is located by Flamingo.....so I can keep adding things to it...I know IT/Tech.....but not boats....I have been learning from you guys.....

Perhaps the builder might take some time to answer some these concerns.
Please share these items with us Weedy.....

I have another boat to check out before I pick one...., and as you can see it is a good amount of money for me.....I going over to check out Gheenoe LT25 model in a few weeks...I hear mix reviews from members.......

The only thing I'm sure of at this point is I want to go fishing, and not be at work.

IP Logged

Weedy
Forum Member
Founding Member

Cape Coral, Fl
Reply #14 - Apr 16th, 2008 at 12:50pm

Miami101,

I can understand about the work/fishing issue, I've been on the phone all morning talking to people about a fishing tourney for this weekend! I WANT TO GO FISHING ALSO!!!!
Anyway, so of the items that I saw were: When you walked up to the boat on the trailer and you see foam hanging down under the rear deck, it looked very "tacky" for lack of better terms. It would be more astetic (sp) to shave it down while the deck was upside down. Besides, if you used the underside for storage, it would block stuff from going under in some spots. Also, the rubrail had screws coming thru under the gunnels that were anyweres from 1/4" to over 1" sticking thru the hull. It almost looked like they grabbed what ever they could you mount the rubrail! I understand the purpose, but it showed lack of attention to detail. Up front under the forward deck, I'm not sure what was used for the support (the big round pipe looking thing) had alot of stuff all over it. It wasn't cleaned properly, again tacky (attention to detail). I just can't see why a company with this name would allow stuff like this to slip thru for a show boat. This is not to be taken as a flaming of the boat, I have NO experience with this boat on the water. It might run dryer, float shallower than anything else on the water. But, I just think if you scrimp on the obvious, what is going on were you can't see it. There were some other items, but just can't recall them off the top of my head. Besides, I am a loyal gheenoe fan and am waiting to get an LT25 myself, I have see them in all kinds of weather and loaded WAY over their capacities and they still ran like a champ. Hope this helps.

PS. I still think the Release boat is COOL looking with the old style design hull.

IP Logged

Pages: 1 2 
Send Topic Print
Advertisement